- Walmart Canada has finally opened a brand new, cutting-edge warehouse order fulfillment system at a distribution center in Cornwall, Ontario the company’s first of its kind.
This $20 million investment will improve Walmart Canada’s world-class supply chain and future-proof the company by providing associates with industry-leading technologies, training, and development to modernize work also keep goods flowing.
The 40,000-square-foot space nourishes the retailer with a modern order fulfillment method that employs cutting-edge technology and a user-friendly computer system to deliver goods to associates.
The system will supply general merchandise, such as health and beauty products, clothing, stationery, and electronics, to 136 Walmart locations from Kingston, Ontario, to Canada’s East Coast.
It is part of Walmart Canada’s $3.5 billion investment to make online and in-store shopping more accessible, faster, and more convenient for associates and customers alike.
“We’re ecstatic to be modernizing our supply chain both in Cornwall and across the country.” “These investments will assist our associates in providing better service to our customers,” said Horacio Barbeito, President and CEO of Walmart Canada. “Cornwall is a critical component of our supply-chain network, and we’re committed to providing jobs and opportunities to this vital community that we’ve proudly called home for 27 years.”
Since 1994, Walmart Canada has proudly served the Cornwall community. In 2015, the Cornwall Walmart store was converted into a Supercentre, and it now employs approximately 280 associates. Cornwall also has four Walmart distribution centers with a total of 2.9 million square feet. Walmart Canada’s four distribution centers or 27 stores in Eastern Ontario employ over 10,000 associates.
This project will augmentation the local economy by creating jobs in Cornwall. For example, more than 150 engineering jobs were created in Cornwall due to the construction. In addition, Walmart Canada is looking to fill 80 positions at its Cornwall regional distribution center.
“We are delighted that Walmart Canada continues to invest in Cornwall,” said Cornwall Mayor Glen Grant. “This investment in cutting-edge technology strengthens Walmart’s position as a global leader in the supply chain sector, and it supports the 2,000-plus workforce in Cornwall that works tirelessly every day to bring much-needed goods to Canadian families.”
The following are new features and benefits at the Cornwall facility:
- Modern machinery, powered by an easy-to-use computer system, aids in workflow support, improving accuracy and traceability.
- The infrastructure can transport 60,000 goods in 16 hours, increasing productivity and speed
- Vanderlande installed cutting-edge logistics technology at the facility.
- The technology aids in the movement of goods in the warehouse while requiring less physical effort.
- It is capable of meeting both current and future store and e-commerce needs.
- The new software will be used in two distribution centers currently under construction in Surrey, British Columbia (due to open in 2022) and Vaughan, Ontario (expected to open in 2024).