- Pat King, the leader of the ‘Freedom Convoy,’ says he’s still hunting for lawyers to represent him at trial six weeks after his detention.
- One of the co-accused, Tyson George Billings, appeared in court on Monday at the Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee, Ont.
About six weeks after his arrest, ‘Freedom Convoy’ leader Pat King says he’s still looking for lawyers to represent him at trial.
“Right now, I’m looking for lawyers,” King said in court on Monday. “Because of the gravity of this condition, I want to ensure that we have competent representation.”
King, 44, faces ten charges related to his role in the three-week-long ‘Freedom Convoy’ protests in downtown Ottawa, including intimidation, impeding police, and mischief. On Monday, Tyson George Billings, one of the co-accused, appeared in court at the Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee, Ont.
Since his arrest on February 18, King has been held at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre. His case has been re-examined multiple times because he does not have an official lawyer defending him.
Cal Rosemond, who represented King during his initial bail hearing, was “not my counsel,” King claimed on Monday.
King’s bail review hearing is set for later this month, and he has two lawyers working on it. However, he does not have a lawyer on file for the trial, and on Monday, he spoke for himself in court.
Moiz Karimjee, the Crown counsel, expressed worry that King’s case had been pending since February and suggested that King applies for legal help if he so desired.
Both King and Billings face two counts of intimidation and hindering police officers. They’re also charged with mischief, counseling to conduct mischief, obstructing police, intimidating police, violating a court order, and counseling to violate a court order.
Billings, 44, was in court again on Monday and will be back on April 19. In Napanee, Ont., he is held at the Quinte Detention Centre.
Source: CTV News