- A Regina couple’s home in the 2800 block of Victoria Avenue caught fire on Thursday morning after being struck by lightning.
- Despite the rarity of lightning strikes, Environment Canada advises Saskatchewan to be cautious.
On Thursday morning, lightning struck the 2800 block of Victoria Avenue house of a Regina couple, causing it to catch fire.
Aydon Charlton as well as his wife, were awakened by a powerful thunderclap on Thursday around 3 a.m.
Then, all the house’s smoke alarms went off, and Charlton could smell smoke from the attic.
According to Charlton, the house’s roof was struck by lightning, which then landed on our bathroom fan and ignited a fire in the attic.
When Charlton entered the attic, he claims he was astounded by what he discovered: massive flames pouring out of the ceiling. When he failed to locate a fire extinguisher or a pail of water, he quickly dialed the fire department.
“The bathroom fan had collapsed. My wife was attempting to put out the plastic fire when she observed flames above in the attic as she was doing so, according to Charlton.
According to Charlton, the encounter was horrifying.
“She was undoubtedly quite frightened; I was more shocked at the time. Thinking about it has made me feel scarier than I do now.
Fortunately, the couple, who jointly own the home, were the only ones there and managed to flee without getting hurt.
Early in the morning, Regina Fire was able to put out the fire with little total house damage. However, the house had completely lost power, and the fire’s damage is still evident.
According to Charlton, there has been some ember charring in the insulation and attic.
Even though lightning strikes are uncommon, Environment Canada warns that Saskatchewan should be concerned about them.
Terri Lang, a meteorologist at Environment Canada, stated that lightning always strikes something.
“Occasionally, it strikes poles, occasionally it strikes electricity lines, and occasionally it strikes homes. It may ignite fires when it strikes a building.
According to Lang, 200 to 300 Canadians are often hurt by lightning each year.
Environment Canada advises exiting the house as soon as you see that it is on fire and dialing 911.
Additionally, Lang asserts that despite the fire risk, homes are still the safest location during a lightning storm.
There is no secure spot outdoors during a lightning storm; therefore, you are safer inside than out. A house, building, or automobile offers the best protection from lightning.
Source: Global news