- The fundraiser for Canada’s trucker convoy has been removed from GoFundMe, according to the company.
- GoFundMe was thanked by Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson for “hearing the plea” from the City of Ottawa and Ottawa Police to stop funding the convoy organizers.
- According to the company, it works with local authorities to ensure that it is informed about any fundraisers that are taking place.
According to the company, the fundraiser for Canada’s trucker convoy has been removed from GoFundMe.
The company had previously stated that it was suspended and under review after raising more than $10 million.
GoFundMe said in a statement on its website that it “supports peaceful protests” and that it “believes that was the purpose of the Freedom Convoy 2022 fundraiser when it was first created.”
“We now have proof from law enforcement that the once-peaceful demonstration has devolved into an occupation, with police reports of violence and other illegal activity,” says the statement.
On Friday, Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson thanked GoFundMe for “listening to the plea” from the City of Ottawa and Ottawa Police to stop funding the convoy organizers.
“They have made the right decision in support of our city and our residents in light of the unlawful behavior that has occurred in the last few days,” he said in a tweet.
He expressed hope that restricting their access to funds would “restrict their ability to remain in Ottawa” and urged other crowdfunding platforms to do the same to help end the protest.
As lawyer Keith Wilson, who represents the protest, a new “official donation site” was set up on GiveSendGo on Friday.
The GoFundMe fundraiser, which listed Tamara Lich as the organizer and B.J. Dichter as a “team member,” was set up to help truckers from Canada to Ottawa protest COVID-19 restrictions.
According to the company, it collaborates with local authorities to ensure that it is aware of what is going on in connection with any fundraiser.
“Following a review of relevant facts as well as multiple discussions with local law enforcement and city officials, this fundraiser has already been removed from the platform for violating our Terms of Service (Term 8, which bans the promotion of violence as well as harassment),” the company said.
Initially, $1 million was given to the organizers, according to GoFundMe, because there was a clear distribution plan in place, and funds would only be used for those who traveled to Ottawa to take part in a peaceful protest.
“Given how this situation has developed, no additional funds will be distributed directly to the Freedom Convoy organizers — we will work with organizers to send all remaining funds to credible and established charities verified by GoFundMe,” the company stated.
Until February 19, 2022, all donors can use this dedicated refund form to request a full refund.
Source: Global News